(Recipe courtesy of Cambridge Cookery School)
Red cabbage is best known cooked. It transforms into the most delicious winter vegetable dish redolent of Christmas spice when slow braised with apples, brown sugar, vinegar, ground cinnamon and cloves. A perfect accompaniment for roast goose, turkey or pork.
However, this nutritious winter cabbage is also delicious raw. This salad is a real “super food”. In addition to the benefits from the cabbage, avocado provides cholesterol-lowering properties while the pumpkin seeds are packed with protein, zink and vitamins.
- Preparation: 5-10 minutes
- Cooking: n/a
- Portions: 8-10 portions
- 1 small head red cabbage
- 2 avocados
- 2 little gem lettuces
- A large handful of pumpkin seed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Maldon sea salt
- 100 ml avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 50ml apple cider vinegar
- a large pinch of sea salt
- a large pinch of black pepper
- Shred the red cabbage, tear the lettuce and use a tablespoon to scoop out generous balls of avocado. Arrange on an over-sized serving dish and drizzle with lemon juice and plenty of sea salt – particularly aiming for the pieces of avocado.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing and drizzle over the salad.
- Scatter with the pumpkin seeds.