(Recipe courtesy of Cambridge Cookery School)
- Preparation: 5 minutes
- Cooking: 1 hour
- Portions: 2 portions
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 300 g minced venison
- 200 g peeled chopped tomatoes (homemade & frozen)
- 300 ml venison or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp fresh sage & thyme (very finely chopped)
- Cornflour to thicken – mixed in a little water (optional)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add the mince and cook until lightly browned, add the herbs and tomatoes and stir into the meat . Then add the stock and stir into the mixture.
- Transfer into an oven-proof dish, cover and cook (medium oven heat) for approx 45 mins.
- If thickening add cornflour and cook for a further 5 minutes.
FOR COTTAGE PIE:
Follow the above method – when transferring to oven-proof dish cover with cooked, mashed potatoes and cook for approx 40 mins.