(Recipe courtesy of Cambridge Cookery School)
- Preparation: 5 minutes
- Cooking: 20-25 minutes
- Portions: 4 portions
- Food sources: Fresh, seasonal vegetables can be purchased from most good local retailers/producers, including Mayflower Organics at the Cambridge market on Sundays
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower and olive oil (a good mixed oil for cooking)
- 6 rashers of smoked, streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1/4 celeriac, peeled and finely diced
- The outer ½ of a Savoy cabbage, finely sliced
- 200ml double cream
- Maldon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan. Add the bacon and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the carrot and celeriac. Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the shredded cabbage and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cream and simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.