Local Resources – Home Energy

Businesses listed here have been suggested to us, but aren’t necessarily recommended by CCF
– we don’t have the capacity to evaluate them all.



Cambridge City Council website details Home energy efficiency grants and incentives
They have an excellent guide to Greening Your Home and a 2012 guide:  Be energy efficient in your rented property

Cambs Home Improvement Agency (HIA)
offers Home Energy Grants to elderly, vulnerable or low-waged owner-occupiers for improvements in the energy efficiency of their home.

To contact City Council Home Energy Officers (HEOs):

  • Sam Griggs advises council tenants and community groups on keeping their homes warm. Tel:  01223 457960. email: sam.griggs@cambridge.gov.uk)
  • Justin Smith advises those in private sector housing about home energy efficiency. Tel: 01223 457954. email: justin.smith@cambridge.gov.uk)

Energy Companies Obligation

The Energy Companies Obligation (ECO) grant scheme is tied into the Green Deal in that you have to get an assessment first and the work must be done through a Green Deal provider. Even though you are not a priority customer you could qualify for the Carbon Saving Obligation which covers solid wall insulation and cavity walls which are hard to treat.

Click here to return to the top of the page

Architects, surveyors and energy advice

Click here to return to the top of the page

Renewable energy systems

Visit the National Energy Foundation (NEF) website and view the renewable energy section for a breakdown of technologies.

YouGen has good resources on renewables and energy efficiency

You may find it helpful to visit the website of the Microgeneration Certification Scheme when considering products and installers.

Cambridge Renewable Energy Centre
Offers ground source heat pumps, heat recovery equipment and other renewable energy resources.  Tel: 01954 202020

Chelsfield Solar
Specialises in solar installations.  Tel: 01442 211766

Cambridge Solar
Local solar expert installers.  Tel: 01223 863 885

Click here to return to the top of the page

Building and planning

The planning system is a complex set of laws and regulations. Planning officers will discuss specific proposals; architects should have a good idea of what might be approved. Cambridge City Council provides information about making and monitoring planning applications and building control. Tel: 01223 457200 / 457201

The following are local contractors and suppliers who undertake ‘green’ building renovation and construction. However, we are unable to provide recommendations. If you are considering employing one of these companies please contact the CCF office because we may be able to put you in touch with someone who has used them previously.
Superhomes lists “My Green Builder“, as recommended by their members

Click here to return to the top of the page

Heating and plumbing

Click here to return to the top of the page


Some good places for buying energy-efficient light bulbs include:

            • Cambridge Discount Electrical on Mill Rd
            • Homebase on Newmarket Rd
            • John Lewis on Downing St
            • B&Q on Newmarket Rd

All supermarkets now sell energy-efficient light bulbs. Useful websites for a wide range of energy saving bulbs, particularly the less usual types, include:

Click here to return to the top of the page


The National Insulation Association has a good overview and installer information.

Click here to return to the top of the page

Windows and doors

            • Green Building Store, Tel: 01484 461705.
            • Adrian Smith of Lawrence Smith & Co, Unit 9, Harding Way, St. Ives, Cambridgeshire, PE27 3WR. Tel: 01480 462994
            • Ron Brown Joinery, Unit A Rene Court, 1 Coldhams Road, Cambridge, CB1 3EW. 01223 240024

Click here to return to the top of the page