Our midsummer day event was a fantastic afternoon of skillshare and repair workshops. We welcomed 38 people to the event and had another 10 volunteers and workshop hosts to help make the day happen. The theme was summery, but our repairers were also able to help with household appliances, toys, gadgets, electronics etc. Our skillshare workshops were really popular as well with a couple of old favourites (DIY lotions & potions, and bike maintenance) and a couple of successful new ones (jam making, seed balls, and bunting sewing).
The venue was a spacious wooden cabin set in lovely grounds right on the edge of Sheep’s Green and Grantchester Meadows. We were very lucky with the weather and the bike maintenance and seed ball workshops quite happily moved outside and spent the afternoon in the sunshine!
- Bike maintenance – care for your own bike by learning some basic maintenance skills.
- DIY eco-friendly body lotions and suncreams – learn how to make silky smooth lotions to care for your skin this summer…it’s amazing what you can do with a few simple ingredients.
- Jam making – soon your larder will be overflowing with homemade spreads of every flavour!
- Sewing bunting workshop – bring along any fabric scraps you might want to use to make fun, festive bunting!
- Making ‘Seed Balls‘ – these are child-friendly and loads of fun (for adults too!)
- Kids activities – if you’re bringing your children along then why not have them take part in some fun activities while you participate in one of our other sessions.
- Gadgets & appliances repair – bring along your hoover, kitchen appliances, toys, etc
- Mobile & electronics repair – mobile phones, computers, DVD players…we have three experts who will try to salvage your favourite electronics.
- Jewellery repair – whether you need a new clasp or your beads need to be restrung, bring them along to see whether we can help
Newnham Scout and Guide Centre
(end of Chedworth St, Nr Newnham Croft School) CB3 9JF