A fresh and very summery salad!
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Cooking: 20-30 minutes (plus 1-2 hours optional marinating)
- Portions: 4 portions (as a side dish)
- 2 courgettes, sliced into thin lengthwise pieces
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1-2 lemons
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups mixed baby greens (eg. baby spinach, rocket, watercress) – optional
- Extra herbs, lemon zest, and/or toasted breadcrumbs to serve (optional)
- Preheat grill or oven.
- Place the courgette slices on a tray and coat lightly in 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Grill or roast until just starting to brown at the edges.
- Place the grilled zucchini and the shaved fennel (raw) in a bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil with the lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat. If you have time, cover and marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Serve over a bed of greens. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and garnish with extra herbs, lemon zest and/or toasted breadcrumbs if desired.
Adapted from Wild Garlic, Gooseberries and Me: a chef’s stories and recipes from the land by Denis Cotter.