A caflouti tastes like a cross between a pancake and a custard and is incredibly easy to make. It is wonderful made with any summer fruits – try substituting raspberries, peaches, nectarines, apricots or plums when in season.
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Cooking: 45-50 minutes
- Portions: 4-6
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Butter for the baking dish
- 500 g fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix together the sugar, flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time, followed by milk and vanilla.
- Arrange cherries evenly in the bottom of a buttered 20 cm pie plate or dish.
- Pour batter over cherries.
- Bake until caflouti is puffed and browned (45-50 mins)
- Sift icing sugar over the top and serve warm.
Adapted from the recipe book Sweet Temptations.